July 31, 2005

Here's To You, Leonard A. Clark

Leonard A. Clark is a kindergarten teacher (and wannabe politician) who joined the Arizona National Guard. Now stationed just outside Baghdad, he has been keeping a blog which is highly critical of the US occupation. Now he has been busted down a rank by the US Military, docked over $1600 in pay and sentenced to "45 days restriction and 45 days of extra duty" (the restriction and extra duty are suspended, for now at least).

What's worse, his blog has been closed down and all former posts removed.
In a post on his site July 5, Clark responded to questions about a report that he is being investigated for his writings: “Folks, I have decided to write you this email in response to those who are wondering in their own views why I am apparently violating the ‘rules.’ Since I don't have much time here is the gist of it: I believe American soldiers (my brothers and sisters) are being killed needlessy [sic] over here in this lie we call ‘the Occupation of Iraq.’"
Remind me again what we are fighting for in Iraq?

In solidarity with Leonard, I am republishing some of his posts below. I urge other bloggers to do the same. Let's turn Leonard's one small voice into a roar or anger across the blogosphere!


July 5th, 2005
Thank you!

Thank you all so much for you outpouring of support and even for those of you who want me dead, just remember this: I am a damned liberal who goes out ‘the wire’ almost every day in a gunner’s turret or driving a Humvee while many of your friends who call me a traitor sit at home enjoying a Democratic America. You will not silence me, just as the Nazis did not silence those they tried to slaughter.

I will do my best to comply with the aburd rules being used against me, but I can already tell you that I am like the man who who is told he will get a fair judge, jury, and trial and then be hung tommorrow. It doesn’t matter the military leadership is under pressure to shut me up. I have been told I cannot talk about politics, etc. because they know I could win if I get back home alive, so therefore I believe in my heart that I am not going over the top when I say they will do ANYTHING to silence me.

I most of all want to see my beautiful wife and daughter again, along with the beautiful United States of America, but if I need to be sacrificed so that no more children will go fatherless or motherless or that a widow will no longer scream in agony over learning of her loved one’s death, then so be it. My heart is heavy because I have a daughter who would grow up without a father if I am killed and a wife will be without her husband, but I will leave this great matter in the ALMIGHTY’s hands.

Please, remember that I will do my best to express my free opinions as an American citizen and let you know about this continued madness the Occupation of Iraq. Please, if they silence me do not forget my words – if we can save just one more life then this will have been all worth it, for the cause is just and the reward is the renewal of the human spirit in the face of tyranny.

I now consider myself on the verge of becoming a prisoner for my political views and my conscientous views.
Not One More American Soldier No Mas !
Si Se Puede ! Yes, We Can !

Written by Leonard A. Clark (the damned liberal who patrols the mean streets of Iraq every day).
Civilian title: Public Schools’ Kindergarten teacher

July 5th, 2005
The evil of the mind is conquered by the goodness of the heart

Folks, I have decided to write you this email in response to those who are wondering in their own views why I am apparently violating the “rules”. Since I don’t have much time here is the gist of it: I believe American soldiers (my brothers and sisters) are being killed needlessy over here in this lie we call the “Occupation of Iraq”. To me it is a great offense to the laws of humanity to have American soldiers die needlessly in a place far from their native home when this evil practice could be stopped. When should a person, a human being if you will, speak out ? Well, for me these fellow soldiers are my loved ones, and if I were ever going to speak out about anything it would be to save the lives of those I love. To have human beings sacrifice their lives for a lie is a violation of their human rights, and so there you have it – I believe that not only are my human rights being violated but those of my fellow soldiers as well.

To me it is no different than knowing that people are being murdered and that a fellow human being has the supreme moral obligation to prevent these murders from taking place. These are not the actions that an unreasonable person would take but to the contrary – ones that a very reasonable and humane person would take.

I know now in my gut that I have angered and scared very poweful people. Now, I know that I will probably pay the price but I am a human being first, and to me it is then condoning a war crime to stand by and let what I am seeing with my own eyes and other soldiers’ eyes take place over here in Iraq. I am being threatened for these reasons that I have stated: the evil that is in the minds of men being conquered by the good that is in the hearts.

Leonard Clark
soon to be a prisoner of conscience

P.S. If I am cut off with communications with my wife and daughter
please tell my friends to tell them that I will always love them
and to trust in GOD.
Kevin Spidel, a friend of Leonard’s, also has some MP3's from Leonard here.

No comments:

Pages

Blog Archive