September 04, 2007

Tears Of A Clown

What a wanker:
Fully aware of his isolation as he defiantly insists his forces struggle on in Iraq, Mr Bush told Mr Draper: "I've got God's shoulder to cry on, and I cry a lot."

Referring to the growing death tally in Iraq, he added: "I'll bet I've shed more tears than you can count as president."

As for his plummeting standing in the popularity polls, the president pointed to his dog, Barney, and said: "That guy who said if you want a friend in Washington get a dog, he knew what he was talking about."

But he said: "I made a decision to lead. One, it makes you unpopular; two, it makes people accuse you of unilateral arrogance, and that may be true. But the fundamental question is, is the world better off as a result of your leadership?"

Mr Bush says history will have to decide on his legacy, but he adds that he gets short shrift from wife, Laura, when he gets down. "She reminds me that I decided to do this," he said.

"Self-pity is the worst thing that can happen to a presidency. This is a job where you can have a lot of self-pity."

Mr Bush said he's hoping General David Petraeus, America's top commander in Iraq, will be able to sell the progress he claims is being made in the war when he delivers his report to Congress next week.

He said his belief that his "surge" plan would work in Iraq was not for show. "You can't fake it," he added.

But he worries about his ability to convince the public his strategy is working. "I've been here too long. Every time I start painting a rosy picture, it gets criticised and then it doesn't make it on the news."

Pages

Blog Archive