February 21, 2005

The Great Gonzo

Hunter S Thompson has committed suicide.

In the lead-up to Nixon's re-election, Thompson famously asked: "Jesus, where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to become president?"

He believed new lows had been met by the Bush Administration:
"Who does vote for these dishonest shitheads? They are the racists and hate mongers among us - they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these nazis."
On the 2004 presidential campaign, he called George Bush a "treacherous little freak."

Observing Bush's poor performance in a debate with John Kerry: "I almost felt sorry for him, until I heard someone call him 'Mister President,' and then I felt ashamed."

Most of the quotes you'll be reading about Thompson today are coming from his last interview with Salon's John Glassie. Here are some of the best quotes:
Civil liberties are black and white issues. I don't think people think far enough to see the ramifications. The PATRIOT Act was a dagger in the heart, really, of even the concept of a democratic government that is free, equal and just. There are a lot more concentration camps right now than Guantanamo Bay. But they're not marked. Now, every jail, every bush-league cop can run a concentration camp. It amounts to a military and police takeover, I think...

The administration is using these bogeymen for their own purposes. This military law is nothing like the Constitution. They're exploiting the formula here: The people are afraid of something and you offer a solution, however drastic, and they go along with it. For a while, yeah. My suspicions are more justified every day with this manufacturing of dangerous killer villains. The rest of the world does not perceive, I don't think, that some tin-horn dictator in the Middle East is more of a danger to the world than the U.S. is. This country depends on war as a primary industry. The White House has pumped up the danger factor because it's to their advantage. It's to John Ashcroft's advantage. There have always been pros and cons about the righteousness of life in America but this just seems planned, it seems consistent, and it seems traditional...

I believe the Republicans have never thought that democracy was anything but a tribal myth. The GOP is the party of capital. It's pretty basic...

I believe the Republicans have seen what they've believed all along, which is that this democracy stuff is bull, and that people don't want to be burdened by political affairs. That people would rather just be taken care of. The oligarchy doesn't need an educated public. And maybe the nation does prefer tyranny. I think that's what worries me. It goes back to Fourth Amendment issues. How much do you value your freedom? Would you trade your freedom for some illusion of security? Freedom is something that dies unless it's used...

This country has been having a nationwide nervous breakdown since 9/11. A nation of people suddenly broke, the market economy goes to shit, and they're threatened on every side by an unknown, sinister enemy. But I don't think fear is a very effective way of dealing with things -- of responding to reality. Fear is just another word for ignorance...

I don't know what kind of a role model I am. And not everybody is made for this life...

If you can't say you'd do it again, it means that time was wasted -- useless. The regrets I have are so minor. You know, would I leave my Keith Richards hat, with the silver skull on it, on the stool at the coffee shop at LaGuardia? I wouldn't do that again. But overall, no, I don't have any regrets.

No comments:

Pages

Blog Archive