January 23, 2009

Eight Years Of Screaming Silence

Few of us can easily surrender our belief that society must somehow make sense. The thought that the State has lost its mind and is punishing so many innocent people is intolerable. And so the evidence has to be internally denied.
- Arthur Miller
As quoted by John Pilger:
As deserving as Blair, Howard and Uribe are of the Bush Freedom Medal, others cry out for a place in their company. With the assault on Gaza a defining moment of truth and lies, principle and cowardice, peace and war, justice and injustice, I have two nominees. My first is the government and society of Israel...

My other nominee for a Bush Freedom Medal is that amorphous group known as western journalism, which has always made much of its freedom and impartiality...

One day, other journalists and their editors and producers may be called upon to not only explain why they did not tell the truth about these criminals but even to stand in the dock with them.

3 comments:

Bukko Boomeranger said...

As I usually say, Gandhi, thanks for an interesting link. I hadn't thought about how Bono is willing to suck up to a new master in the White House, but yeah, he "palled around" with Bush and immediately does the same with Obama. Even dogs will show more loyalty to an old owner.

While I think Hamas is a mob of overly aggro fundamentalist arseholes, and I hate to find myself on the same side of an issue as so many flaming neo-Nazis, Pilger's farking well right. What the Israelis are doing is a crime; even bigger than the innefectual, self-defeating crimes of Hamas.

The worm is turning, though. Israel is alienating more people, such as me, and more importantly, the Turks. When Turkey's ever-more-Islamic government chills the economic and oil cooperation it has given Israel, that's when karma will start to bite.

Remember the Crusades. The Western powers held sway over the Holy Land for a century, but eventually were swept out on a river of their own blood. I think you and I will live long enough to see U.S. military bases in Israel, for "defence." But if Israel does not reach some accommodation with its neighbours, the result will be the same as in the 1100a, U.S. bases or no. What a shame, since it didn't have to be so.

P.S. I see you left some comments at my "blog," which I set up a long time ago to get this Blogger ID. I didn't even know that place had comments enabled. Certainly nothing I did, because I don't know how and can't be bothered to learn. Must have happened automatically. Thanks for the visit. I hadn't even looked at the non-existent blog for more than a year.

Jaraparilla said...

Funny way to end things, Bukko. I won't be posting anything more on this blog, maybe the Juggernaut blog - if anything.

Things change, thank God.

Bukko Boomeranger said...

You're a slippery blogging devil, by gawd!

Pages

Blog Archive