Bush In Oz
OK. I wasn't going to write about W's visit to my home country because it is obviously just one big carefully-controlled PR exercise and the more media coverage it gets, the more successful it is. But now I am just pissed off (yet again).
Protestors are kept not only out of sight but also out of hearing range. No open questions from journalists are scheduled. For the first time in memory, the public is banned from Australia's Parliament House. The media reports what it feels obliged to report - the preparations, the landing, the speech, the departure. Gullible idiots suck it up.
As W himself once joked:
"You can't fool all the people all the time, but you can fool some of the people all of the time. And they are the one's you've got to focus on!"
This is what I will remember of Bush's visit to my country's shores: on the night of his arrival, Australian Defence Force jets zig-zagged across the Canberra skies, causing dogs to howl incessantly and keeping half the population awake all night.
These people preach peace, democracy and freedom. But Bush's visit is a denial of all these values. It is instead a triumph of global capitalist control.
Bush made his predictable speech, praising Australia's participation in the "war" and further raising our profile as a terrorist target. His speech included the usual condemnation of those who oppose his fanatical opportunism:
"Who can possibly think that the world would be better off with Saddam Hussein still in power?"
Obviously, anyone who opposes Bush, Blair and Howard wishes that Saddam was still in power. Obviously, we all wish he was continuing to assist - or, err... beginning to assist? - terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsts! Obviously, we all wish the UN was still lamely scratching around in the desert for WMDs, instead of being glad that US forces are now scratching around in the desert for WMDs.
When the speech was over, El Busho attended a barbeque at Australian PM John Howard's official residence. The guests dined on shrimps and scallops, beef fillet and lamb cutlet and macadamia pavlova roulade with passion fruit ice cream.
Then it was time to get back on the presidential plane, Air Force One, the namesake of the idealistic and simplistic Hollywood movie which may have actually inspired all this madness.
P.S. unlike a certain 3-year-old girl, Bush was certainly not frisked at the airport.
- November (37)
- October (27)
- September (53)
- August (36)
- July (41)
- June (61)
- May (62)
- April (64)
- March (20)
- February (1)
- January (19)
- December (16)
- November (18)
- October (12)
- September (15)
- August (15)
- March (1)
- February (52)
- January (56)
- December (3)
- November (1)
- September (5)
- August (2)
- July (3)
- June (5)
- May (34)
- April (39)
- March (79)
- February (83)
- January (107)
- December (140)
- November (178)
- October (251)
- September (177)
- August (211)
- July (164)
- June (159)
- May (272)
- April (120)
- March (133)
- February (179)
- January (170)
- December (85)
- November (149)
- October (173)
- September (167)
- August (122)
- July (107)
- June (64)
- May (54)
- April (94)
- March (68)
- February (80)
- January (81)
- December (67)
- November (174)
- October (140)
- September (142)
- August (192)
- July (253)
- June (166)
- May (146)
- April (120)
- March (181)
- February (123)
- January (24)
- December (27)
- November (32)
- Oil Wars Are Not Inevitable The Economist magaz...
- Bizzaro Busho Forget about drawing parallels wi...
- Three Threes Of Iraq: Let's start with three Bu...
- Dark Dreams I am always very sceptical about co...
- Bush In Oz OK. I wasn't going to write about W'...
- Have you ever heard of Tajikistan, Kyrgistan and U...
- Bits And Pieces: Bush ignores Canadian PM. Afte...
- Culturally Insensitive Are USAmericans* the mos...
- More news on the dangers of electronic voting: ...
- The Inevitable Decline Of Empire We live such s...
- Clinton warned Bush of bin Laden threat Reute...
- Does Anybody Out There Even Care? Lately there ...
- Now this is strange. Just as George W. Bush ge...
- In the Middle East, a Peace Plan Blossoms From Now...
- Now This Really Pisses Me Off: "US soldiers dri...
- Another Bad News Day This is the world that Geo...
- Good News On Iraq? Not. As part of the Bush Adm...
- Hunting For Bad Guys The Bush Administration on...
- Powell On The Up Well blow me down and clamp my...
- Rumsfeld To Be Sacrificed? There are signs that...
- Hypocrites and Parasites Jesus said: "You have ...
- Crisis in the White House America is getting p...
- Michael Moore's 7 Questions for George W. Bush ...
- Schwarzennegger To Terminate $9 billion Lawsuit ...
- Corporate Control George W. Bush is the first O...
- CIA Setup? So here's the story. Apparently, som...
- US Accountability? We Don't Talk About That. Fo...
- The Real Reason Why Bush Went To War In Iraq Ac...
- George W. Bush's Next Speech to the UN "Being A...
- Bad Intentions Are Not Good Enough US inspector...
- Sheer Hypocrisy Just as Tony Blair's UK cabinet...
- Who fingered Joe Wilson's wife? Who was behind...
- September (36)
- August (31)
- July (37)
- June (23)
- May (3)
- February (1)