Three Threes Of Iraq:
Let's start with three Bush lies:
1. We will capture Saddam Hussein, alive or dead.
2. We will find WMDs.
3. The Iraqis will greet us as liberators.
Secondly, who are the Iraqis that are still shooting bombs all over Baghdad?
1. Former Ba'athist Party members, with or without Saddam and other senior members, who are just doing what they always did: intimidating the people to maintain power by force.
2. Islamic fundamentalists, including foreigners and growing bands of local recruits like "Mohammed's Army."
3. Conservative locals, predominantly Sunni tribesmen, increasingly angry at disrespectful behavior by US troops.
Thirdly, what can the USA do now?
1. Hand over Iraq to the international community. This means abandoning a major military "foothold" in the Middle East and relinquishing control of Iraqi oil. Don't wait for it to happen under Bush's administration.
2. Hang in there and tough it out. But US troops are fatigued, reserve forces are depleted, the death toll keeps climbing and there is increasing domestic resistance to the Iraqi "quagmire". Something will have to give and soon.
3. Hand over power to the Iraqi Governing Council. But these squabbling puppets still cannot agree on anything of substance, they still need to build an infrastructure that includes armed forces, border controls, police and other public services. Handing control to them and pulling back forces now would likely trigger a civil war involving the three aggressive elements above. If the chosen puppets could not maintain themselves in power, this would also lead to the US losing whatever military and financial gains they sought in Iraq.
- November (37)
- October (27)
- September (53)
- August (36)
- July (41)
- June (61)
- May (62)
- April (64)
- March (20)
- February (1)
- January (19)
- December (16)
- November (18)
- October (12)
- September (15)
- August (15)
- March (1)
- February (52)
- January (56)
- December (3)
- November (1)
- September (5)
- August (2)
- July (3)
- June (5)
- May (34)
- April (39)
- March (79)
- February (83)
- January (107)
- December (140)
- November (178)
- October (251)
- September (177)
- August (211)
- July (164)
- June (159)
- May (272)
- April (120)
- March (133)
- February (179)
- January (170)
- December (85)
- November (149)
- October (173)
- September (167)
- August (122)
- July (107)
- June (64)
- May (54)
- April (94)
- March (68)
- February (80)
- January (81)
- December (67)
- November (174)
- October (140)
- September (142)
- August (192)
- July (253)
- June (166)
- May (146)
- April (120)
- March (181)
- February (123)
- January (24)
- December (27)
- November (32)
- Oil Wars Are Not Inevitable The Economist magaz...
- Bizzaro Busho Forget about drawing parallels wi...
- Three Threes Of Iraq: Let's start with three Bu...
- Dark Dreams I am always very sceptical about co...
- Bush In Oz OK. I wasn't going to write about W'...
- Have you ever heard of Tajikistan, Kyrgistan and U...
- Bits And Pieces: Bush ignores Canadian PM. Afte...
- Culturally Insensitive Are USAmericans* the mos...
- More news on the dangers of electronic voting: ...
- The Inevitable Decline Of Empire We live such s...
- Clinton warned Bush of bin Laden threat Reute...
- Does Anybody Out There Even Care? Lately there ...
- Now this is strange. Just as George W. Bush ge...
- In the Middle East, a Peace Plan Blossoms From Now...
- Now This Really Pisses Me Off: "US soldiers dri...
- Another Bad News Day This is the world that Geo...
- Good News On Iraq? Not. As part of the Bush Adm...
- Hunting For Bad Guys The Bush Administration on...
- Powell On The Up Well blow me down and clamp my...
- Rumsfeld To Be Sacrificed? There are signs that...
- Hypocrites and Parasites Jesus said: "You have ...
- Crisis in the White House America is getting p...
- Michael Moore's 7 Questions for George W. Bush ...
- Schwarzennegger To Terminate $9 billion Lawsuit ...
- Corporate Control George W. Bush is the first O...
- CIA Setup? So here's the story. Apparently, som...
- US Accountability? We Don't Talk About That. Fo...
- The Real Reason Why Bush Went To War In Iraq Ac...
- George W. Bush's Next Speech to the UN "Being A...
- Bad Intentions Are Not Good Enough US inspector...
- Sheer Hypocrisy Just as Tony Blair's UK cabinet...
- Who fingered Joe Wilson's wife? Who was behind...
- September (36)
- August (31)
- July (37)
- June (23)
- May (3)
- February (1)