July 07, 2006

David Hicks' Letter To The PM

Reprinted from smh.com.au:
21 January 2005

Dear Prime Minister Howard,

I send this heartfelt message to you in earnest. Your being the leader of the country of Australia, of which I am a citizen, and one of your subjects, I reach out to you for assistance.

I find myself greatly confused, for many detainees have been released from Guantanamo Bay, a large number who have been accused of graver deeds than myself, and the latest group announced to be freed is no exception; yet I find myself being left behind while others go home to walk free.

I have not caused injury or harm to anyone. I have tried not to inconvenience anyone and hope that after 3 years in Guantanamo this is evident.

I understand that you are doing what you believe is best for the Australian people and in your heart mean well but please remember that I also have loved ones in Australia and love my country. I am not an evil person or a risk to the Australian public and it saddens me that some may think so.

On the contrary, I like to think of myself as a true blue Aussie. Australia is in my heart and forever will be. I have walked her sandy beaches and rugged coastlines. Been a jackeroo in the northern bush and shorn sheep in the south. Its memories and character live on inside me, these memories have at many times been all that have kept me going during the past 3 years and how l long to return to the place of my birth.

I am determined to fit back into society and be a model citizen. I have tried to better myself and improve my education whilst here in Guantanamo by working my way to completing high school and I intend to further my education when I return.

Please could you ask the American government for my release and help me to return home. I have many friends and loving family whom I wish to be reunited with, especially my two beautiful children, aged 11 and 10. The separation from my family has taught me the importance of strong family relationships. I am not the same person I was three years ago. As you can imagine, I have had ample amount of time to reflect on who I am and what is the most important in life, family. To be united family again is the most important issue in my life.

Prime Minister Howard, If you could secure my release I shall not let you down. I will do all I can for my country and live in a law abiding manner, proving that you will not have made a mistake in your judgment and I shall be forever grateful to you.

Respectfully submitted

David Hicks Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

Pages

Blog Archive