March 01, 2004

Clare Short :

In a UK Independent article, Clare Short wonders whether the UK Attorney General was pressured to advise the government that the war on Iraq would be legal. She says the UK Military refused to support the war without such assurance. And she adds, just for the record:

"I am not at all bitter. I am not even angry. I am still astonished and sad and disappointed. I believe that our country and my party have been deeply dishonoured, large numbers of people have lost their lives and the world made more bitterly divided and dangerous. I committed myself to the Labour Party very many years ago because I believed it to be an instrument of moral advance and justice at home and abroad.

I believe the best way to correct the mistakes is to persuade Tony Blair to stand down. I have made no secret of this view. I have not enjoyed reaching these conclusions but they are my serious opinions. I do not support my party right or wrong. I want to preserve my party as an instrument of justice. I also think we should stop invading the privacy of the secretary general of the United Nations. "

Pages

Blog Archive