Yesterday TPM reported on how senior Democrats squashed a progressive resolution to tie any future Iraq War funding to withdrawal purposes only. Personally, I am getting pretty tired of the US Democratic Partys’ eternal hand-wringing on Iraq.
WHO CARES if the Repugs are going to blame you for losing the Iraq War? WHO CARES if they blamed you for losing the Vietnam War? The truth is that only a psycho nutjob would still consider either of those wars “win-able” from a US perspective. Look at the polls! Most US citizens already know this war is lost and they want you to stop it NOW. So just do it.
WHO CARES if the morally bankrupt 25% that still support this war will never vote Democrat again? Those hardcore Bush-loving rednecks will never vote Democrat anyway!
Just do the right thing, and have faith in ordinary decent people to respect you for it. People are still dying, day after day. Iraqis are still suffering. The USA’s reputation remains mired in the toilet. Somebody has to step up to the plate and fix this. You have been given the power to do something, so do it NOW. Force the Senate GOP to block withdrawal. Force them to block impeachment. Cut off funds.
What are you guys really afraid of?
Most thinking people around the world still believe the USA wants to keep its permanent military bases in Iraq and ensure that US-based Big Oil gets its hands (one way or another) on Iraq’s massive oil reserves. It’s no good just saying that this is not so: actions speak louder than words. For the moment, methinks the senior Democrat lady doth protest too much without actually DOING much at all.
The world is watching. If you just want show trials of GOP transgressions to pave the way to a Democratic Presidency in 2008, I guess that might work for you (although it may backfire too). Nobody expects a President Hillary, for example, to walk away from Iraq’s oil and those permanent bases. But the hard facts will remain: people will keep dying, Iraqis will keep suffering, and the USA’s reputation will remain mired in the toilet until the last US soldier departs Iraq.
If you respect the democratic wishes of the US people, withdraw now. If you care at all about the people of Iraq and the USA’s international reputation, withdraw now. Don’t just talk about it, do something.
- ► 2009 (421)
- ► 2008 (185)
- Bush Cites Fadhils For Proof Of "Success" In Iraq!...
- WSJ's New Writers: The Fadhil Bros
- Thanks For Nothing, Karl
- Death Inside The Green Zone
- Gandhi Goes Live At The Smirking Chimp
- Will Bush Veto?
- The Monica in Bush's future
- What If It's Already Too Late To Impeach?
- Dylan Thomas: Do not go gentle into that good nigh...
- Bush Gets Drunk, Goes On TV Chat Show
- Abu's Last Words?
- Go Josh Go!
- Gonzales' Republican support erodes - Yahoo! News
- Bush Spits The Dummy
- New Developments in the U.S. Attorney Controversy
- White Hot Rage
- Mortar Hits Green Zone While UN Head Does A Presse...
- Progressive Dems Back Down On "Anti-war" Bill
- The Constitution Is Just A Piece Of Paper
- Josh Marshall Must Die
- No More "New Realities"?
- No Email To Trace?
- al-Qaeda is not going to take over Iraq
- A Deal Is Done
- What will become of Iraq's children?
- Meanwhile In the Islamic State of Iraq
- Karma Calls: Debra Yang
- Gonzales’s Fall, Bush’s Impeachment?
- Bush's Boy In Baghdad
- BushWorld: A Failed Experiment
- Operation Iraqi Liberation = O.I.L.
- Rove and Abu G: Last Of The Texas Mafia
- Bush's Top Ten Mistakes in Iraq during the Past 4 ...
- Stephen Morris: Mea Culpa Minimalis
- Neocons in Cheney's Office Fund al Qaeda-Tied Grou...
- "Sovereign" Iraq?
- The Walls Start To Crumble
- Goosey Goosey Gander
- Bush's GOP: Shocked, Shocked At Voter Fraud
- Antiwar Demonstrations
- Bush In Deep Denial Over Gonzales
- Baghdad Under Surge
- The War Of Error
- A Dangerous Game Of Chicken
- Iraq War Timeline: Four Long Years
- Bizarro Logic
- CurveBall Is Alive And Well
- Iraq: Where Are The Dems?
- It's All About Bush
- Gandhi has fun with racist wingnuts
- Abu G: Stalling For Time
- Dylan Hears A Who!
- In The Line Of Firing
- The 'Surge' In Propaganda
- The Way Out?
- Former Iraq minister denies theft of millions
- Who You Gonna Call?
- The Once And Future King
- Adios, Senor Gonzales
- What Is It With The GOP And Gays?
- The Failed Attorney General
- A Cloud Over The White House
- Bush visits South America
- Who's Watching Gandhi?
- Do The Right Thing
- Quelle Surprise!
- The Power Behind The Bush Throne
- Questions In The Wake Of The Libby Trial
- Libby Goes Down. Who's Next?
- Friends Like These
- Iraqi PM orders probe of British prison raid
- Wes Clark: 2001 Memo Planned War On Seven Countrie...
- Bush Back At 29%
- Blair Suggests Complete UK Pullout
- The Last Straw?
- Stocks Drop: Now Three Days Straight
- GWOT = George W's Own Terrorism
- Call Me Doug
- For Whom Steve Bell Tolls
- ▼ March (79)
- ► 2006 (2154)
- ► 2005 (1244)
- ► 2004 (1728)