During the hearing on his nomination as attorney general, Alberto Gonzales said he understood the difference between the job he held — President Bush’s in-house lawyer — and the job he wanted, which was to represent all Americans as their chief law enforcement officer and a key defender of the Constitution. Two years later, it is obvious Mr. Gonzales does not have a clue about the difference.
He has never stopped being consigliere to Mr. Bush’s imperial presidency. If anyone, outside Mr. Bush’s rapidly shrinking circle of enablers, still had doubts about that, the events of last week should have erased them...
We opposed Mr. Gonzales’s nomination as attorney general. His résumé was weak, centered around producing legal briefs for Mr. Bush that assured him that the law said what he wanted it to say. More than anyone in the administration, except perhaps Vice President Dick Cheney, Mr. Gonzales symbolizes Mr. Bush’s disdain for the separation of powers, civil liberties and the rule of law.
On Thursday, Senator Arlen Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, hinted very obliquely that perhaps Mr. Gonzales’s time was up. We’re not going to be oblique. Mr. Bush should dismiss Mr. Gonzales and finally appoint an attorney general who will use the job to enforce the law and defend the Constitution.
March 12, 2007
The Failed Attorney General
The New York Times calls on Bush to fire Abu Gonzales:
Posted by Jaraparilla at 07:54
- ► 2009 (421)
- ► 2008 (185)
- Bush Cites Fadhils For Proof Of "Success" In Iraq!...
- WSJ's New Writers: The Fadhil Bros
- Thanks For Nothing, Karl
- Death Inside The Green Zone
- Gandhi Goes Live At The Smirking Chimp
- Will Bush Veto?
- The Monica in Bush's future
- What If It's Already Too Late To Impeach?
- Dylan Thomas: Do not go gentle into that good nigh...
- Bush Gets Drunk, Goes On TV Chat Show
- Abu's Last Words?
- Go Josh Go!
- Gonzales' Republican support erodes - Yahoo! News
- Bush Spits The Dummy
- New Developments in the U.S. Attorney Controversy
- White Hot Rage
- Mortar Hits Green Zone While UN Head Does A Presse...
- Progressive Dems Back Down On "Anti-war" Bill
- The Constitution Is Just A Piece Of Paper
- Josh Marshall Must Die
- No More "New Realities"?
- No Email To Trace?
- al-Qaeda is not going to take over Iraq
- A Deal Is Done
- What will become of Iraq's children?
- Meanwhile In the Islamic State of Iraq
- Karma Calls: Debra Yang
- Gonzales’s Fall, Bush’s Impeachment?
- Bush's Boy In Baghdad
- BushWorld: A Failed Experiment
- Operation Iraqi Liberation = O.I.L.
- Rove and Abu G: Last Of The Texas Mafia
- Bush's Top Ten Mistakes in Iraq during the Past 4 ...
- Stephen Morris: Mea Culpa Minimalis
- Neocons in Cheney's Office Fund al Qaeda-Tied Grou...
- "Sovereign" Iraq?
- The Walls Start To Crumble
- Goosey Goosey Gander
- Bush's GOP: Shocked, Shocked At Voter Fraud
- Antiwar Demonstrations
- Bush In Deep Denial Over Gonzales
- Baghdad Under Surge
- The War Of Error
- A Dangerous Game Of Chicken
- Iraq War Timeline: Four Long Years
- Bizarro Logic
- CurveBall Is Alive And Well
- Iraq: Where Are The Dems?
- It's All About Bush
- Gandhi has fun with racist wingnuts
- Abu G: Stalling For Time
- Dylan Hears A Who!
- In The Line Of Firing
- The 'Surge' In Propaganda
- The Way Out?
- Former Iraq minister denies theft of millions
- Who You Gonna Call?
- The Once And Future King
- Adios, Senor Gonzales
- What Is It With The GOP And Gays?
- The Failed Attorney General
- A Cloud Over The White House
- Bush visits South America
- Who's Watching Gandhi?
- Do The Right Thing
- Quelle Surprise!
- The Power Behind The Bush Throne
- Questions In The Wake Of The Libby Trial
- Libby Goes Down. Who's Next?
- Friends Like These
- Iraqi PM orders probe of British prison raid
- Wes Clark: 2001 Memo Planned War On Seven Countrie...
- Bush Back At 29%
- Blair Suggests Complete UK Pullout
- The Last Straw?
- Stocks Drop: Now Three Days Straight
- GWOT = George W's Own Terrorism
- Call Me Doug
- For Whom Steve Bell Tolls
- ▼ March (79)
- ► 2006 (2154)
- ► 2005 (1244)
- ► 2004 (1728)