The entire scheme has been laid out before us. The question now is whether Karl Rove will get away with it.
Here's the scheme, as revealed over the past month: Rove and his deputies traveled to various agencies throughout the government, lecturing management there about Republicans' political prospects. Which House and Senate members were in trouble? Which Democratic seats were vulnerable? What were the major issues in the election?
But there was a line to be drawn: no commands were to be given -- because such a directive would be a blatant violation of the Hatch Act, which forbids the use of government resources for political ends.
On the contrary, the government officials receiving the briefing were supposed to get the hint -- as Tom Hamburger reported, "employees said they got a not-so-subtle message about helping endangered Republicans." The briefing simply gave them the tools to be helpful in the next election. They were supposed to take the ball and run with it.
The Washington Post reports today that Rove and his deputies gave such briefings to at least 15 different agencies (ranging from NASA to the Department of Homeland Security). But one briefing in particular continues to shine a light on all the rest: the one given this January to officials at the General Services Administration, the government's massive procurement agency...
April 27, 2007
AttorneyGate: The Big Picture
TPMmuckraker puts the case together:
Posted by Jaraparilla at 08:01
- ► 2009 (421)
- ► 2008 (185)
- Frank Rich: Our Poodle Press
- Sex. Sex, Sex. And Rice.
- Qui Custodiat Democrats?
- Bush's Whore-Monger In Chief
- Look! Up In The Sky!
- Wazzup With The Impeachment Thing?
- Was Young Kevin Rudd Buggered By A Priest
- AttorneyGate: The Big Picture
- Kucinich Calls For Cheney Impeachment
- Bolfobitz The Banker
- The US president's men in dire straits
- Report On Haditha
- Gonna Find Out Who's Naughty And Nice
- US Democrats Still Want to Win "Economically" In I...
- Who Controls The GOP Machine?
- Back To Ground Zero
- Tom the Dancing Bug
- Argentina , Te Quiero
- Winning In Iraq
- Is George W. Bush Reading "Bush Out"!!!?
- US Citizens Want OUT Of A Losing War
- Coming Soon: George Tenet's Revenge
- Bush Personally OK'ed Iglesias Firing
- Clinical Demolition
- The Privileged Excutive and his Privileged Ass-kis...
- Wolfie Says Sorry
- WaPo's #1 Editor Is A Horse's Ass
- A Good Look At Baghdad
- Bush Starts Destroying The Evidence
- Divide And Conquer?
- There's Nobody Left But Barney and Laura
- Yo, Condi!
- Some Day I'll Fly Away
- Bush Nearly Kills Himself
- Working From Home?
- This blog is NOT endorsed by the WSJ.
- How to Get Out of Iraq
- Why Is Cheney Blaming Al Zarqawi for Sammara Bombi...
- Cheney The Nervous Lurker
- ▼ April (39)
- ► 2006 (2154)
- ► 2005 (1244)
- ► 2004 (1728)