The Marine Corps chain of command in Iraq ignored "obvious" signs of "serious misconduct" in the 2005 slayings of two dozen civilians in Haditha, and commanders fostered a climate that devalued the life of innocent Iraqis to the point that their deaths were considered an insignificant part of the war, according to an Army general's investigation.
Maj. Gen. Eldon A. Bargewell's 104-page report on Haditha is scathing in its criticism of the Marines' actions, from the enlisted men who were involved in the shootings on Nov. 19, 2005, to the two-star general who commanded the 2nd Marine Division in Iraq at the time. Bargewell's previously undisclosed report, obtained by The Washington Post, found that officers may have willfully ignored reports of the civilian deaths to protect themselves and their units from blame. Though Bargewell found no specific coverup, he concluded that there also was no interest at any level in investigating allegations of a massacre.
"All levels of command tended to view civilian casualties, even in significant numbers, as routine and as the natural and intended result of insurgent tactics," Bargewell wrote. He condemned that approach because it could desensitize Marines to the welfare of noncombatants. "Statements made by the chain of command during interviews for this investigation, taken as a whole, suggest that Iraqi civilian lives are not as important as U.S. lives, their deaths are just the cost of doing business, and that the Marines need to get 'the job done' no matter what it takes."
April 22, 2007
Report On Haditha Condemns Marines:
Posted by Jaraparilla at 06:22
- ► 2009 (421)
- ► 2008 (185)
- Frank Rich: Our Poodle Press
- Sex. Sex, Sex. And Rice.
- Qui Custodiat Democrats?
- Bush's Whore-Monger In Chief
- Look! Up In The Sky!
- Wazzup With The Impeachment Thing?
- Was Young Kevin Rudd Buggered By A Priest
- AttorneyGate: The Big Picture
- Kucinich Calls For Cheney Impeachment
- Bolfobitz The Banker
- The US president's men in dire straits
- Report On Haditha
- Gonna Find Out Who's Naughty And Nice
- US Democrats Still Want to Win "Economically" In I...
- Who Controls The GOP Machine?
- Back To Ground Zero
- Tom the Dancing Bug
- Argentina , Te Quiero
- Winning In Iraq
- Is George W. Bush Reading "Bush Out"!!!?
- US Citizens Want OUT Of A Losing War
- Coming Soon: George Tenet's Revenge
- Bush Personally OK'ed Iglesias Firing
- Clinical Demolition
- The Privileged Excutive and his Privileged Ass-kis...
- Wolfie Says Sorry
- WaPo's #1 Editor Is A Horse's Ass
- A Good Look At Baghdad
- Bush Starts Destroying The Evidence
- Divide And Conquer?
- There's Nobody Left But Barney and Laura
- Yo, Condi!
- Some Day I'll Fly Away
- Bush Nearly Kills Himself
- Working From Home?
- This blog is NOT endorsed by the WSJ.
- How to Get Out of Iraq
- Why Is Cheney Blaming Al Zarqawi for Sammara Bombi...
- Cheney The Nervous Lurker
- ▼ April (39)
- ► 2006 (2154)
- ► 2005 (1244)
- ► 2004 (1728)