Faced with an ever-more ruthless insurgency in Baghdad - despite President George Bush's "surge" in troops - US forces in the city are now planning a massive and highly controversial counter-insurgency operation that will seal off vast areas of the city, enclosing whole neighbourhoods with barricades and allowing only Iraqis with newly issued ID cards to enter.
The campaign of "gated communities" - whose genesis was in the Vietnam War - will involve up to 30 of the city's 89 official districts and will be the most ambitious counter-insurgency programme yet mounted by the US in Iraq.
The system has been used - and has spectacularly failed - in the past, and its inauguration in Iraq is as much a sign of American desperation at the country's continued descent into civil conflict as it is of US determination to "win" the war against an Iraqi insurgency that has cost the lives of more than 3,200 American troops. The system of "gating" areas under foreign occupation failed during the French war against FLN insurgents in Algeria and again during the American war in Vietnam. Israel has employed similar practices during its occupation of Palestinian territory - again, with little success.
But the campaign has far wider military ambitions than the pacification of Baghdad. It now appears that the US military intends to place as many as five mechanised brigades - comprising about 40,000 men - south and east of Baghdad, at least three of them positioned between the capital and the Iranian border. This would present Iran with a powerful - and potentially aggressive - American military force close to its border in the event of a US or Israeli military strike against its nuclear facilities later this year.
April 12, 2007
Robert Fisk details America's new plan for Baghdad, a.k.a. FM 3-24:
Posted by Jaraparilla at 09:09
- ► 2009 (421)
- ► 2008 (185)
- Frank Rich: Our Poodle Press
- Sex. Sex, Sex. And Rice.
- Qui Custodiat Democrats?
- Bush's Whore-Monger In Chief
- Look! Up In The Sky!
- Wazzup With The Impeachment Thing?
- Was Young Kevin Rudd Buggered By A Priest
- AttorneyGate: The Big Picture
- Kucinich Calls For Cheney Impeachment
- Bolfobitz The Banker
- The US president's men in dire straits
- Report On Haditha
- Gonna Find Out Who's Naughty And Nice
- US Democrats Still Want to Win "Economically" In I...
- Who Controls The GOP Machine?
- Back To Ground Zero
- Tom the Dancing Bug
- Argentina , Te Quiero
- Winning In Iraq
- Is George W. Bush Reading "Bush Out"!!!?
- US Citizens Want OUT Of A Losing War
- Coming Soon: George Tenet's Revenge
- Bush Personally OK'ed Iglesias Firing
- Clinical Demolition
- The Privileged Excutive and his Privileged Ass-kis...
- Wolfie Says Sorry
- WaPo's #1 Editor Is A Horse's Ass
- A Good Look At Baghdad
- Bush Starts Destroying The Evidence
- Divide And Conquer?
- There's Nobody Left But Barney and Laura
- Yo, Condi!
- Some Day I'll Fly Away
- Bush Nearly Kills Himself
- Working From Home?
- This blog is NOT endorsed by the WSJ.
- How to Get Out of Iraq
- Why Is Cheney Blaming Al Zarqawi for Sammara Bombi...
- Cheney The Nervous Lurker
- ▼ April (39)
- ► 2006 (2154)
- ► 2005 (1244)
- ► 2004 (1728)