Today, when Israel is exposed to international criticism for its mistreatment of Palestinians and its occupation of territory conquered in 1967, its defenders prefer to emphasize the memory of the Holocaust. If you criticize Israel too forcefully, they warn, you will awaken the demons of anti-Semitism; indeed, they suggest, robust criticism of Israel doesn't just arouse anti-Semitism. It is anti-Semitism...
I understand the emotions behind such claims. But the claims themselves are extraordinarily dangerous. When people chide me and others for criticizing Israel too forcefully, lest we rouse the ghosts of prejudice, I tell them that they have the problem exactly the wrong way around. It is just such a taboo that may itself stimulate anti-Semitism...
We have attached the memory of the Holocaust so firmly to the defense of a single country—Israel—that we are in danger of provincializing its moral significance. Yes, the problem of evil in the last century, to invoke Arendt once again, took the form of a German attempt to exterminate Jews. But it is not just about Germans and it is not just about Jews. It is not even just about Europe, though it happened there. The problem of evil —of totalitarian evil, or genocidal evil —is a universal problem.
February 05, 2008
Posted by Jaraparilla at 08:23
- ► 2009 (421)
- Turkey Is In Iraq to Stay
- Should The USA Bail Out Bush's Bankers?
- Stewart Makes Fun of McCain at Oscars
- Blogging For Fun, Fame And Fortune (Or Not)
- Is John McCain Really "The One"?
- Worst. President. Ever.
- Blogging Sucks
- Everywhere Is War
- Political Blogs and Opinions
- Is It Time To Bomb Iran, Dick?
- LA Voting Irregularities
- Saudi Witchery? Or Just Pure Evil?
- Who Did Ted Rall Vote For?
- Turn, turn, turn...
- Gandhi's Blogs: A Visual Journey
- "Die, You Bastards"
- Eight Years Of Bush: A Crisis Of Intelligence
- Yes we have no permanent bases
- Yet Another Bush "Conspiracy Theory" Revealed
- Who's Gonna Be Left Holding The Bag? Who's Gonna B...
- Where Do You Go To, My Lovelies?
- Why The Dems Haven't Stopped The War(s)
- Try To See It My Way
- Where Now For the Bush Coalition?
- US Voters Are Wierd
- Where's That Iranian Oil Bourse?
- Bush's USA Crosses A Dangerous Line
- More On Those Cable Cuts
- What Makes A Conservative Tick?
- Viva Ihara!
- Towards A Better World
- US Elections: Just A Scam?
- Who's Cutting The Cables?
- Demand A New 9/11 Investigation
- Sibel Edmonds Must be Heard!
- MUST READ: THE SAUDI PAKISTAN LINK TO 911
- Welcome To The Club
- Karl Rove Gets A Job
- Why Were The Tapes Destroyed?
- What Are The Odds Of War With Iran This Week?
- Who Are The Real Anti-Semites?
- They Do Book Reviews
- Mental Retards
- Could It Have Something To Do With OIL?
- Questions For Zelikow And Rove
- Lunatics Running The Asylum: Top Bush Officials Wo...
- The Truth Will Out
- The Bribes Didn't Work
- Commission Confidential
- Yae, Though I Speak With The Tongues Of An Angel.....
- Zelikow Held Secret Meetings With Rove
- ▼ February (52)
- ► 2007 (361)
- ► 2006 (2154)
- ► 2005 (1244)
- ► 2004 (1728)